Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker?


For me it's a no-brainer. I'd choose Darth Vader every time. He's tall, dark and imposing. He dresses with style and how about that cape? He's not much to look at underneath the disguise but I've never been one to judge someone by appearances.

Yes, I know he's the bad guy. He's done truly evil things but he fought a great struggle and in the end triumphed over the dark side. He made the ultimate sacrifice.

Luke's a good guy but he doesn't have the same depth. True, he's seen some traumatic things, had to learn to trust himself and find a courage he didn't know he had. He's been to the brink.

But Darth Vader has been over the edge. And he clawed his way back out. A redeemed villian is a much stronger character than a developing hero.

With that, I am back to tweak my work in progress. I've just taught myself an accidental lesson about characterisation.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin