Saturday, February 13, 2010

Children's Book Covers

I've heard it said a million times: You can't judge a book by its cover. But we do. Myself included. And right now, I'm glad we sometimes do - because I've seen the cover for Jaguar Warrior and it's wonderful.

Going out on a limb, I'll even say it's the sort of cover that boys would walk from one side of the library to the other, just to look at. There's lots of embossing and gold bling but the real focus is the eyes. They seem to glow.

So I started to think about covers I've particularly liked and how I wished I had a book with them all in it. I found this one on the Internet - Children's Book Covers: Great Book Jacket and Cover Design by Alan Powers. It covers 100 years of book covers - featuring authors and illustrators predominantly working in the UK and the USA including Edward Lear, Randolph Caldecott, Beatrix Potter, Kenneth Grahame, Arthur Ransome, Jean de Brunhoff, Maurice Sendak and Raymond Briggs - over 400 works through to Harry Potter and Lemony Snicket.

So what I want to know now is : where is the Australian version? and what's your favourite book cover?

1 comment:

Jeffery E Doherty said...

You are so right about the cover!

Who is the artist?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin