Monday, March 2, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR SEUSS

And to think I almost forgot an important birthday!!! Today is the 105th anniversary of the birth of Theodor Seuss Geisel, Dr Seuss. His work is proof that all those reports into children's literacy are not wasted. It was after a 1954 Life magazine report on illiteracy concluded children weren't reading because books were too difficult and boring that Geisel and his publisher agreed on a list of 250 important words and Dr Seuss began to write The Cat in the Hat.

To quote Dr Seuss: “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.” I loved Dr Seuss as a child, an adult and a parent. As a reader, a writer and a poet. I have to admit I wasn't initially keen on his artwork - as a child some of the images frightened me. But they have grown on me and with me. My own kids loved them from the word go (Go being one of the 250 words!)

Here are my favorite books:


  • One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish

  • Fox in Sox (I love those tweetle-beetles)

  • Yertle the Turtle

  • Oh the Places You'll Go

Kids can have lots of Dr Seuss fun on-line here at Seussville.


And now I'll just sneak in a few favourite quotes:

“A person's a person, no matter how small.” (Horton Hears a Hoo)

“Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!” (Oh the Thinks You Can Think)


Happy birthday, Dr Seuss!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin